Oscar Pistorius 'shoots dead his girlfriend', Reeva Steenkamp, At his home in Pretoria

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 14/2/2013, 09:44     +2   +1   -1

Group:
Administrator
Sono così tanti a zoppicare che chi cammina dritto, pare in difetto!

Oscar Pistorius 'shoots dead his girlfriend'
Reeva Steenkamp

South African Paralympic star Oscar Pistorius is being questioned by police for allegedly shooting dead a woman, believed to be his girlfriend, at his home in Pretoria, local media reported on Thursday.
Johannesburg's Talk Radio 702 said Pistorius was understood to have shot the woman in the head and arm, although the circumstances surrounding the incident were unclear. He may have mistaken her for a burglar, the radio report said.

199547-reeva-steenkamp

According to Beeld, Pistorius was being questioned at Silverwoods Country Estate in connection with the shooting at his home in a gated community in the Silver Lakes area of Pretoria. He is expected to appear in Pretoria Magistrates’ Court later on Thursday.
Police spokesperson Katlego Mogale told eNCA that she could not confirm the man's identity until he appears in court.

She added that a 9mm pistol was recovered from the scene and a case of murder is being investigated. The woman was apparently shot four times.
Police are still busy with preliminary investigations on the scene, and statements are being taken from neighbours.
Paramedics were called to the house after the shooting and attempted to resuscitate the woman before declaring her dead at the scene. Police captain Sarah Mcira told local media that a woman - who died at the scene - was shot in the head and arm.

The police spokeswoman declined to confirm the identity of the man in custody.
'I can confirm that a woman has been fatally wounded in a shooting at Oscar Pistorius' house,' the spokeswoman said.
'A 26-year-old man has been taken into custody.'
Mogale said: 'The incident happened at 3am. We received a call and attended the scene. The call did not come from the man in custody but from another person.

article-2278472-1792056B000005DC-469_634x606

'Currently there is an inquiry into what happened.'
A police spokesman added: ‘We can't comment on his emotional well-being, but he is traumatised after losing someone close to him.’

article-2278518-1792F40C000005DC-567_306x382

Officers found a 9-mm pistol at the scene and took the 26-year-old Pistorius into custody. Pistorius, nicknamed the Blade Runner, made history at the London Olympics last year when he became the first double-amputee runner to compete on the track at the Games and is one of South Africa's most famous sportsman.

Having had both his legs amputated below the knee when he was less than a year old, he campaigned for years to be allowed to compete against able-bodied athletes and finally was cleared by sport's highest court to be able to run at the top events.

He competed in the 400 metres and on South Africa's 4x400 relay team at the London Games and also retained his Paralympic title in the 400 meters in London.

South Africa has some of the world's highest rates of violent crime and some home-owners carry weapons to defend themselves against intruders.
Great Britain’s 400metre runner Martyn Rooney had been living and training with Pistorius in Gauteng until only three days ago. Source: dailymail.co.uk

ddc32993-ebc2-41d9-b931-e3a6b94c0a1d.

Screen-Shot-2013-02-14-at-8.55.30-AM

Babe-Reeva-638.jpg.638x999_q85

v52544-2

Reeva%20Steenkamp

Reeva-Steenkamp1

Edited by Milea - 16/6/2016, 08:25

Web  Top
view post Posted on 14/2/2013, 11:03     +1   +1   -1

Group:
Administrator

Pistorius' Pretoria home last year

article-2278492-1791F322000005DC-375_634x422

article-2278472-123D36E3000005DC-38_634x381

article-2278472-11FB9F0E000005DC-794_634x454

article-2278472-11FB8CD6000005DC-722_634x422

article-2278472-123D36EB000005DC-957_634x422

article-2278511-1791F302000005DC-921_634x422

article-2278472-123D48F3000005DC-697_634x422

article-2278511-11FBA351000005DC-511_634x422

article-2278511-1791F33D000005DC-739_634x422

Oscar+Pistorius

Edited by Milea - 22/2/2013, 22:43

Web  Top
view post Posted on 14/2/2013, 11:05     +2   +1   -1

Group:
Tazzulella fumante

Reeva Steenkamp was trying
to surprise him for Valentine's Day

article-2278472-17925B6A000005DC-359_634x413

South African Paralympic star Oscar Pistorius has been arrested and is being questioned by police for allegedly shooting dead his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp at his home in Pretoria, local media reported on Thursday.
Johannesburg's Talk Radio 702 said Pistorius was understood to have shot her in the head, chest and arm, although the circumstances surrounding the incident were unclear. He may have mistaken her for a burglar, the radio report said.
According to Beeld, Pistorius was being questioned at Silverwoods Country Estate in connection with the shooting at his home in a gated community in the Silver Lakes area of Pretoria.

It was reported that his girlfriend, former FHM model Miss Steenkamp, 30, was trying to surprise him for Valentine's Day and he thought she was an intruder.
He is expected to appear in Pretoria Magistrates’ Court later on Thursday.
Police spokeswoman Katlego Mogale told eNCA that she could not confirm the man's identity until he appears in court, but later the Associated Press reported that the man was indeed Pistorius.
Mogale added that a 9mm pistol was recovered from the scene and took 26-year-old Pistorius into custody. The woman was apparently shot four times.
Police spent the morning investigating the scene and taking statements are being taken from neighbours.

Paramedics were called to the house after the shooting and attempted to resuscitate the woman before declaring her dead at the scene.
Mogale added: 'I can confirm that a woman has been fatally wounded in a shooting at Oscar Pistorius' house.
'A 26-year-old man has been taken into custody.
'The incident happened at 3am. We received a call and attended the scene. The call did not come from the man in custody but from another person.
'Currently there is an inquiry into what happened.'

A police spokesman added: ‘We can't comment on his emotional well-being, but he is traumatised after losing someone close to him.’
Sarit Tomlinson, Steenkamp’s publicist, told Sky News: ‘She was the sweetest human being and an absolute angel on earth. She was the kindest, most unbelievable girl.
‘They had been together for a couple of months and it had been a healthy, fabulous relationship. At the moment it’s shocking. No-one knows what’s happened.
‘She was a rising star. There was so much in the pipeline for her: she was just about to explode into the media.
‘She was a very talented, very bright young girl. It’s too shocking for words. We’ll miss her so much, too much. Our condolences go to her family.’

Shocked Peet van Zyl, Pistorius' manager who assisted at the scene Thursday morning, said he would not comment.
'I can only confirm there was an incident and a woman was killed,' Van Zyl told Beeld. 'I do not want to speculate about what happened.'
Arnu Fourie, Pistorius' roommate during last year's Paralympics, shortly after he heard the news, saying 'my heart is broken for Oscar'.

Fourie said after he practiced Thursday morning in Stellenbosch, he had dozens of messages on his phone about the incident.
'I feel for Oscar and the girl's family, I pray for him and her family, I can not imagine how they feel,' said Fourie.
'The poor Oscar in his life had so many disappointments and tough times. Now. My heart is broken for Oscar.'
The International Paralympic Committee expressed sorrow on hearing of the incident.
In a statement, it said: 'Following the news of the alleged shooting incident involving South African athlete Oscar Pistorius this morning, the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) will not be passing any comment on the case at this time.
'This is a police matter, with a formal investigation currently underway. Therefore it would be inappropriate for the IPC to comment on this incident until the official police process has concluded.

'The IPC would like to offer its deepest sympathy and condolences to all families involved in this case.' Gideon Sam, president of the South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC), said he did not want to say anything until he did not have more details.
'SASCOC, like the rest of the public, knows no more than what is in the public domain, which is there has been an alleged fatal shooting on the basis of a mistaken identity and an apparent assumption of a burglary,' a statement read.

'The organisation is in no position to comment on the incident other than to say our deepest sympathy and condolences have been expressed to the families of all concerned.'
Pistorius, nicknamed the Blade Runner, made history at the London Olympics last year when he became the first double-amputee runner to compete on the track at the Games and is one of South Africa's most famous sportsmen and a national hero.

600full-reeva-steenkamp

Having had both his legs amputated below the knee when he was less than a year old, he campaigned for years to be allowed to compete against able-bodied athletes and finally was cleared by sport's highest court to be able to run at the top events.
He competed in the 400 metres and on South Africa's 4x400 relay team at the London Games and also retained his Paralympic title in the 400 metres in London.
South Africa has some of the world's highest rates of violent crime and some home-owners carry weapons to defend themselves against intruders.
Great Britain’s 400m runner Martyn Rooney had been living and training with Pistorius in Gauteng until only three days ago.
Many sports stars took to Twitter to express their shock and sadness.
Source: dailymail.co.uk

Edited by Milea - 14/2/2013, 11:15

view post Posted on 14/2/2013, 21:00     +1   +1   -1

Group:
Administrator

Oscar Pistorius charged with murder
after girlfriend shot dead

Blade Runner's ominous home intruder tweet posted months before he 'shot girlfriend four times': Pistorius to spend night in police cells after being charged with model’s murder

article-2278492-1794A7C8000005DC-649_634x765

Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius tweeted how he went into 'full combat recon mode' after mistaking his washing machine for an intruder, less than four months before his girlfriend was shot dead in the middle of the night.
The sprinter was today preparing to spend the night in jail before appearing in court first thing tomorrow morning after being charged with the murder of 30-year-old FHM model Reeva Steenkamp.
Steenkamp, who had been dating the 26-year-old Pistorius for two months, was shot four times in the head, chest and arm inside his mansion in Pretoria, South Africa at 4am.

article-2278492-1794DDAD000005DC-832_634x250

In a message posted on Twitter on November 27 last year Pistorius wrote: 'Nothing like getting home to hear the washing machine on and thinking its an intruder to go into full combat recon mode into the pantry!'
The athlete may have killed his girlfriend with a handgun kept next to his bed after a Valentine's Day surprise went tragically wrong and he thought she was a burglar, sources have said.
But police say her death is being treated as murder, adding that officers had been sent to previous incidents of a 'domestic nature' at his address on the exclusive Silver Woods gated estate.
Brigadier Denise Beukes said neighbours were woken by 'screaming and shouting' at the time of the shooting and police were 'very surprised' by the intruder suggestion, telling reporters: 'These allegations did not come from us.'
Pistorius is in custody and was due in court this afternoon but the hearing has now been delayed to 7am (GMT) tomorrow to allow forensics more time to work in his home.

article-2278492-1795506F000005DC-93_634x540

Just yesterday Miss Steenkamp spoke excitedly on Twitter about her plans for Valentine's Day.
She said: 'What do you have up your sleeve for your love tomorrow??? #getexcited #ValentinesDay'
Replying to a follower, she later added: 'That sounds amazing! Wow that's what it's all about! It should be a day of love for everyone :) may it be blessed!'

article-2278492-179495C4000005DC-157_634x906

Pistorius, 26, is widely known as the Blade Runner, and has also been dubbed 'the fastest man on no legs'.
The Johannesburg athlete, who was born without fibulas in his legs and had the limbs amputated below the knee when he was 11 months old, had to win a legal battle over his blades with the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) in 2008 for the right to compete in able-bodied competition.
He was the first double amputee to run in the able-bodied Olympics and reached the 400 semi-finals in London 2012.

article-2278492-17922106000005DC-350_634x107
article-2278492-17921FBC000005DC-511_634x99

Pistorius's father Henke said this afternoon his son was 'sad' and a 'bit emotional', adding: 'I don't know nothing. It will be extremely obnoxious and rude to speculate. I don't know the facts.
'If anyone makes a statement, it will have to be Oscar. He's sad at the moment.
'We all pray for guidance and strength for Oscar and the lady's parents.'
His agent Peet van Zyl is heading to Pretoria to speak to his client.
'I hope I can have access to him at the police station,' he said.
'Oscar is a humble person and a lovely guy – I’m sure what’s happened has been a terrible mistake but I really don’t have the details at the moment.'

article-2278492-17920574000005DC-84_634x606

article-2278492-1792396B000005DC-222_306x423 article-2278492-1792395B000005DC-725_306x423

Pistorius' former coach, Andrea Gianni, said he hopes it was 'just a tragic accident.'
'No matter how bad the situation was, Oscar always stayed calm and positive. Whenever he was tired or nervous he was still extremely nice to people. I never saw him violent,' he said.
Arnu Fourie, Pistorius's roommate during London 2012 said today: 'My heart is broken for Oscar'.
'I feel for Oscar and the girl's family, I pray for him and her family, I can not imagine how they feel.
'Poor Oscar in his life had so many disappointments and tough times'.
Pretoria police would not confirm the man's identity until he appears in court, adding a 9mm pistol was recovered from the scene and a case of murder is being investigated.

article-2278492-17923A10000005DC-70_306x679 article-2278492-17932923000005DC-471_306x679

Officers are still busy with preliminary investigations at the scene, and statements are being taken from neighbours on the luxury Silver Woods estate.
Police say the couple were the only people in the home at the time, there was no sign of forced entry and said the claim that Pistorius had thought his girlfriend was an intruder had not come from them.
Outside his home, Miss Steenkamp's friend Mashadi Motsogi broke down in tears.
The distressed model said she heard the news of Miss Steenkamp's death on Twitter.
'I have lost a friend,' she said, telling reporters that Miss Steenkamp's death in a secure complex did not make sense.
'Look, security here is safe. We moved to this area for security reasons. It does not make sense to me that my friend was shot, mistaken for an intruder.'
Police said an application for bail by Pistorius's lawyer Kenny Oldwage would be opposed when he appears in court tomorrow.
Pistorius was taken to hospital this morning for a medical examination police said was a 'standard procedure'.

article-2278492-1793282E000005DC-850_634x356

'They (hospital staff) test under the nails, they look for scratches, bruises, and blood is taken for alcohol and drug screening,' a spokesman said.
In 2009 Pistorius spent a night in police cells after a woman complained to police that he had assaulted her during a party at his house.
The incident allegedly occurred at the same Silver Woods home as where Miss Steenkamp died.
Although Pistorius was charged with assault, he was eventually released with a warning.
At the time, police spokeswoman Sergeant Marinda Stoltz said the victim, whom Pistorius had told to leave, banged and kicked his front door.
'He (Pistorius) told the girl ‘this is my house and my friends and you have to leave’. He then started closing the door when a wooden beam weighing about 1,5kg fell on her leg and injured her.'
She said the girl reported the incident hours later. 'The girl then also admitted that she had been drinking,' said Stoltz.
Homes there are surrounded by a giant wall, with electric fences and armed guards who stop every vehicle leaving or entering to keep it secure in a country with high rates of violent crime.
Around 50 people every day are murdered in South Africa and it is common for people to keep weapons in their home.

article-2278492-17932845000005DC-654_634x356

article-2278492-1792C6BA000005DC-434_634x422

article-2278492-1792C628000005DC-879_634x422

In an interview with the Mail before London 2012 it was revealed Pistorius slept with a pistol next to his bed, a machine gun by a window with a cricket bat and baseball bat behind the door.

'The problem is when the guards are in on the crime. It’s usually safe in guarded estates like this until that happens,’ he said.
In a later piece for the New York Times he took a reporter to the local shooting range to fire his 9mm handgun and two boxes of ammunition.
He admitted he would go shooting 'when I can’t sleep' and an online advertisement featuring him for Nike read: 'I am a bullet in the chamber,' which was pulled from his website today.

Pistorius also posted a photograph of himself at a shooting range in November 2011 to the social media website Twitter, bragging about his score tweeting: 'had a 96% headshot over 300m from 50shots! Bam!' he tweeted.
Another tweet shows his concern about someone breaking into his home, on November 27 last year he wrote: 'Nothing like getting home to hear the washing machine on and thinking its an intruder to go into full combat recon mode into the pantry! waa'.

article-2278492-1794985D000005DC-305_634x327

article-2278492-17947BD0000005DC-624_634x370

article-2278492-17952991000005DC-332_634x427

Miss Steenkamp, a law graduate from Port Elizabeth, gave an interview to the Sunday Times in South Africa last week where she described her boyfriend as 'an impeccable man who always her best interests at heart'.
On February 1, Steenkamp tweeted about Pistorius, saying: 'He certainly doesn't need more followers but he's beautiful to look at & says some smart stuff too ;).'
On her Facebook and Twitter pages, she describes herself as an 'SA Model, FHM Cover Girl, Tropika Island of Treasure Celeb Contestant, Law Graduate, Ambassador'

article-2278492-1794FE88000005DC-547_634x402

Her instagram site Miss Steenkamp's last entry four days ago showed a cartoon female face being hit by a hand, and was accompanied by: 'I woke up in a happy safe home this morning. Not everyone did. Speak out against the rape of individuals in SA. RIP Anene Booysen.'

article-2278492-1792056B000005DC-424_306x423

Family members of South African Paralympic and Olympic sprinter, Oscar Pistorius embrace at Boschkop police station, where he is being held
A post on the same site two weeks ago shared a poster detailing the joys of finding love.
The poster read: 'It's beautiful when you find someone that is in love with your mind.
'Someone that wants to undress your conscience and make love to your thoughts.
'Someone that wants to watch you slowly take down all the walls you've built up around your mind and let them inside.'

This weekend, Steenkamp was set to star in South African reality television series Tropika Island Of Treasure, in which celebrities and ordinary people compete in remote, exotic locations in a variety of daily challenges.
On the show's website, a tribute to Steenkamp says: 'We are deeply saddened and extend our condolences to Reeva's family and friends.'

Sarit Tomlinson, Steenkamp’s publicist, told Sky News: ‘She was the sweetest human being and an absolute angel on earth. She was the kindest, most unbelievable girl.
‘They had been together for a couple of months and it had been a healthy, fabulous relationship. At the moment it’s shocking. No-one knows what’s happened.
‘She was a rising star. There was so much in the pipeline for her: she was just about to explode into the media.

‘She was a very talented, very bright young girl. It’s too shocking for words. We’ll miss her so much, too much. Our condolences go to her family.’
Friends and loved ones posted tributes onto her Facebook page within minutes of news of her death.
Nicky Hiles said: 'Another young taken due to crime in South Africa', Dawn Walker said: 'Such a tragedy... RIP,' Kathleen Louise Nutman added: 'Gone two (sic) Soon RIP.’

article-2278492-1791F52C000005DC-835_634x744

Web  Top
view post Posted on 15/2/2013, 14:10     +1   +1   -1

Group:
Administrator

Blade Runner in the dock

Oscar Pistorius holds his head in his hands as he is formally charged with murdering his model girlfriend who 'was shot four times through bathroom door' at his home

article-2278970-179907D8000005DC-483_634x433

Blade Runner Oscar Pistorius broke down in tears in court today as he was formally charged with the murder of his model girlfriend.
The Paralympic superstar held his head in his hands as one charge of murder was read out to him in Pretoria Magistrates' Court this morning.

The 26-year-old is accused of killing of FHM cover girl Reeva Steenkamp, 29, whose name was officially revealed for the first time at the hearing, in the early hours of Valentine's Day.
Prosecutors told the court they would argue it was pre-meditated murder, which carries a mandatory life sentence, indicating a more serious charge may be filed, upgraded from murder.
Overcome with emotion, Pistorius was comforted by his father, brother and sister as gasps were heard throughout the packed courtroom.
The hearing came as a picture emerged of the weapon, believed to be a 9amm pistol, allegedly used in the killing. It was seen in a clear plastic bag being carried by a police officer.
According to media reports in South Africa this morning, security guards at the complex found Pistorius by Steenkamp's body in the bathroom after she had been shot four times through the door.

VIDEO

article-2278970-17995507000005DC-909_634x479

More than 100 people packed into Courtroom C, including dozens of photographers and videographers.
Pistorius's father Henke, brother Carl and sister Aimee gathered in court to support the athlete who arrived dressed in a grey suit and blue tie.

article-2278970-17997A3C000005DC-133_634x601

The celebrated runner began sobbing, covering his face with his hands, as the charge against him was read out.
Chief magistrate Desmond Nair told him: 'Take it easy. Come take a seat.'
The hearing came after a two-hour delay while Pistorius's lawyers objected to the scrum of local and international reporters packed into the courtroom.
Pistorius said nothing during the 40-minute hearing. Henke and Carl Pistorius sat directly behind him, occasionally leaning forward to give him a pat on the shoulder.
State prosecutor Gerrie Nel told the sportsman that he intends to argue that he took part in a 'premeditated murder'.

article-2278970-179960A3000005DC-406_634x431

At this, Pistorius once again slumped forward with his head in his hands.
While, under South African law, there is only a charge of murder, anyone committed of a murder that has an element of pre-planning faces an automatic life sentence, unless the court can find an exceptional reason not to grant life.
If Pistorius is sent to prison for 'life', that, in a South African context, would mean that he will spend at least 25 years in prison. He would not be eligible for parole until he is 51.
His defence lawyer said the Paralympian is in a 'traumatised state of mind'.
A bail hearing is scheduled for next Tuesday and Wednesday, with police expected to oppose the application.

article-2278970-17995A35000005DC-794_634x504

The hearing was adjourned and Pistorius will be held at a local police station until his next court appearance.
Meanwhile, police said today that an autopsy on the body of the victim was taking place. Lt Col Katlego Mogale said the results of the autopsy would not be published.
The court opened at just before 7am GMT today, as he arrived.
He was seen coming out of the police station where he had been held overnight covering his face with the jacket of his suit.

article-2278970-17995E96000005DC-133_634x433

Henke and Carl Pistorius hugged each other in a show of solidarity before following the police escort that took the double amputee to the courthouse. Both looked tired and strained.
Pistorius was swept into the courthouse, hidden in the back of a police car, which had its windows blocked with paper to prevent anyone seeing the alleged murderer's face.
Pistorius had initially been expected to appear in court yesterday, but the hearing was postponed to allow forensics more time to study his mansion.

article-2278970-17992C21000005DC-905_634x414

As he awaited his hearing, the Afrikaans-language Beeld newspaper claimed Miss Steenkamp had been shot four times, in the head, chest, pelvis and hand through the bathroom door.
The paper, which carried the headline 'Death behind a door', quotes unnamed residents who say they had spoken to security guards at his gated complex.

'The security guards found Pistorius by Steenkamp's body in the bathroom,' the paper said on its website, citing a neighbour. 'The door had bullet holes right through it.'
It is not clear whether the door was locked at the time of the shooting.
Initial reports suggested the model may have been mistaken for a burglar, but Brigadier Denise Beukes later said police were 'very surprised' by that suggestion, adding: 'These allegations did not come from us.'

There had been previous incidents of a 'domestic nature' at the property on the exclusive, gated Silver Lakes Golf Estate in the South African capital Pretoria, she added.
A 9mm pistol was recovered and, according to unconfirmed reports, four shots were fired.
Police spokeswoman Lt Col Katlego Mogale said: 'Paramedics declared the woman dead on the scene and police proceeded with their investigation.
'The woman sustained wounds to her head and the upper body.'

article-2278970-17996897000005DC-756_634x459

Police said an application for bail by Pistorius's lawyer Kenny Oldwage would be opposed when he appears in court.
Dressed in a grey hooded jacket, tracksuit trousers and trainers, Pistorius, 26, walked with head bowed from the Boschkop police station yesterday before being taken to Pretoria's Mamelodi Day Hospital in a police convoy.
Brig Beukes said the medical examination was 'standard procedure'.
Pistorius's spokesman, from the Fast Track agency in London, said he was 'assisting the police with their investigations' but no further comment could be made until matters became clearer.
Initial rumours suggested the shooting may have been a Valentine's Day surprise gone wrong.
The couple had only been going out since November.
Miss Steenkamp, a model and law graduate, tweeted the day before Valentine's Day: 'What do you have up your sleeve for your love tomorrow??? £getexcited £ValentinesDay.'
Pistorius appeared to have serious concerns about his safety and was said to sleep with a revolver by his side.

article-2278970-1798CAAB000005DC-701_634x386

A journalist from the Daily Mail interviewed him last summer and noted: 'This being South Africa, one baseball bat and one cricket bat lie behind Pistorius's bedroom door.
'A revolver is at his bedside. A machine gun by his window.'

article-2278970-1798928B000005DC-200_634x532

Web  Top
view post Posted on 15/2/2013, 17:02     +1   +1   -1

Group:
Administrator

SABC1 refuses
to pull Tropika Island of Treasure 5
from the schedule following the violent death
of contestant Reeva Steenkamp

Samantha Moon says the loss of the dead Reeva Steenkamp is tragic and shocking - but Tropika Island of Treasure 5 must go on.

Reeva-STeenkamp-SABC1-Tropika-Island-of-Treasure-5-to-remain-on-air

Tropika-Island-of-Treasure-5

SABC1 refuses to pull the reality show Tropika Island of Treasure 5 from it schedule which is set to start on Saturday 16 February just two days after the violent death this morning of the model and reality contestant Reeva Steenkamp.

The SABC says the first episode of Tropika Island of Treasure 5 set in Jamaica will go ahead on Saturday as scheduled. Kaizer Kganyago, the SABC's corporate spokesperson tells me that Tropika Island of Treasure 5 produced by Stimulii as an advertiser-funded production for the channel will proceed and that the first episode will be shown on Saturday on SABC1.

TIOT5-Jamaica-Reeva-Steenkamp-02-031

That comes as M-Net and DStv has immediately pulled all Oscar Pistorius TV ads and promos and will remove all billboards as soon as possible.
"As SABC1 we are deeply saddened by the tragic turn of events involving one of the players on our show, Tropika Island of Treasure 5," says Vukile Madlala, SABC1 publicity manager.

"Our thoughts and prayers during these trying times are with the family and friends of the dearly departed Reeva Steenkamp."

Broadcasters, advertisers and companies usually pull shows and adverts in the wake of real-life deaths of actors or people in productions out of sensitivity for the people involved, as well as viewers who might react negatively.

Reeva-Steenkamp-Tropika-Island-of-Treasure-5

reeva-candle

Reeva was born in Cape Town and moved to Port Elizabeth as a child where she continued her studies after matriculating, eventually graduating with a degree in law.
She moved to JHB 6 years ago after being scouted and named the first face of cosmetics giant Avon South Africa. Since then, Reeva has travelled between JHB and Cape Town to film and shoot some of SA’s leading campaigns and commercials. Toyota, FHM, Clover & Italian brand Zui are some of the more prestigious clients she has worked for.

With a background in TV presenting, once the live roaming presenter for FashionTV in South Africa, Reeva is currently working on some major projects that include smaller TV roles as well as a lead in a new reality TV show.
Reeva has a passion for cars and cooking and prefers to read a book on her off days and spend quality time with friends and family. www.tropika-island.co.za/reeva-steenkamp/

Tropika Island of Treasure 5:
Reeva Steenkamp

Jamaica Series Promo

Edited by Milea - 15/2/2013, 19:24

Web  Top
view post Posted on 16/2/2013, 22:47     +1   -1

Group:
Administrator

'Oscar is numb with shock and
grief' after death of his girlfriend, says uncle
as athlete waits for trial over her 'murder'

article-2279637-179EE017000005DC-282_634x461

Olympic athlete Oscar Pistorius is 'numb with shock, as well as grief' after he allegedly shot his model girlfriend at his home in South Africa, the runner's uncle said today.
The Paralympian's family have spoke out today to 'strongly refute' that he murdered Reeva Steenkamp, after he was charged with her death.
Arnold Pistorius spoke about his nephew's arrest over the death of the law graduate, who was shot four times on the morning of Valentine's Day.

article-2278514-17938D40000005DC-348_306x594

The family did not discuss the circumstances of the shooting, but said that his nephew and Steenkamp had become very close since they started dating in November.
'They had plans together and Oscar was happier in his private life than he had been for a long time,' the uncle said.
As Arnold Pistorius read his statement from his home in Pretoria, Pistorius' sister Aimee stood nearby, breaking down in tears at one point.
Her uncle stopped reading for a moment to put his arms around her. Pistorius remains very close with his uncle, a man he once lived with as a teenager.
'Words cannot adequately describe our feelings,' his uncle said.
'The lives of our entire family have been turned upside down forever by this unimaginable human tragedy and Reeva's family have suffered a terrible loss.

'As a family we are trying to be strong and supportive to Oscar as any close family would be in these dreadful circumstances.'
The statement also strongly criticised prosecutors seeking to upgrade the charge against Pistorius to one of premeditated murder, which carries a sentence of life in prison.
'After consulting with legal representatives, we deeply regret the allegation of premeditated murder,' Arnold Pistorius said.

'We have no doubt there is no substance to the allegation and that the state's own case, including its own forensic evidence, strongly refutes any possibility of a premeditated murder.'
The athlete's arrest in the killing of 29-year-old Steenkamp has shocked South Africa, where Pistorius was a national hero dubbed the Blade Runner for his high-tech prosthetics and revered for overcoming his disability to compete in the London Games.
The family's statement came after there were claims that the athlete 'carried his dying girlfriend downstairs and tried to resuscitate her as he desperately attempted to save her life'.
Pistorius reportedly cradled Miss Steenkamp, who he allegedly shot four times, as he tried to stop her dying, performing mouth-to-mouth resuscitation on her.

article-2278970-1799FED4000005DC-768_634x422

article-2278970-1799BC20000005DC-434_634x397

But paramedics were unable to revive her and she was pronounced dead at the scene.
Sources told Beeld, the Afrikaans language newspaper, that security guards heard the shots and rushed to the house, where they saw the Paralympic gold medalist running down the stairs with the law graduate in his arms.
The athlete is said to be on suicide watch due to fears the blade runner might take his own life over charges for the ‘pre-planned’ murder of his model girlfriend, it emerged last night.
Pitorius, who wept in the dock yesterday after being charged with shooting dead law graduate Reeva Steenkamp, 29, on Valentine's Day, is being held at Brooklyn Police Station prison in Pretoria.
A source said: 'Oscar is innocent but he feels as though he has descended into hell. He is absolutely devastated and struggling to deal with his emotions.

article-2278970-1799BA56000005DC-17_634x410

The source told The Sun: 'He's been given a cell to himself at the police station but there are criminals in cells around him and he doesn't belong there. There are police concerns over his mental state.'
At his hearing earlier yesterday Pistorius remained silent during the 40 minute hearing but his family and management issued a joint statement insisting: ‘The alleged murder is disputed in the strongest possible terms.’
It was reported yesterday that the model had been hit four times by bullets fired through the door of a bathroom at the luxury complex on the outskirts of Pretoria where Pistorius, a keen marksman, kept a pistol and machine gun.
Miss Steenkamp, who had only been going out with the Paralympic champion since November, is said to have been hit in the head, chest, pelvis and hand.
The Afrikaans-language Beeld newspaper said: ‘The security guards found Pistorius by Steenkamp’s body in the bathroom,’ and quoted a neighbour as saying: ‘The door had bullet holes right through it.’

article-2279637-179EF02C000005DC-247_634x672

A 9mm pistol said to have been owned by the sporting superstar was seen in a plastic exhibits bag being carried by police officers investigating the killing which has shocked the world.
There were gasps from some of the 100 people crowded into Courtroom C of the Magistrates Court as Pistorius stood with head bowed in front of Chief Magistrate Desmond Nair to the hear the murder charge read out, then started weeping, covering his face with his hands.
‘Take it easy,’ Mr Nair told him. ‘Come take a seat.’
Prosecutor Gerrie Nel told the Pretoria court they would argue the shooting of Miss Steenkamp, a former TV presenter, in the early hours of Thursday was premeditated.
They will tell the court that neighbours heard screaming and shouting from the mansion on the high security Silver Lakes Estate - there had been no robberies there for the past five years - followed by a shot.

article-2278514-179252EB000005DC-444_634x475

Mention of the word ‘pre-meditated’ caused Pistorius to slump forward and he could be seen to be breathing heavily through his hands.
Lawyers for Pistorius, who in London last year became the first athlete to compete at both an Olympic and Paralympic Games, are said to be preparing to argue the shooting was a tragic accident.
If found guilty of premeditated murder, the man seen worldwide as an inspiration and in his homeland as a sporting icon faces an automatic life sentence. He would not be eligible to be considered for parole until he is aged 51.
Police have dismissed initial claims that the multi-millionaire athlete had mistakenly shot his girlfriend believing she was an intruder.
Pistorius, who was dressed in a grey suit and blue tie, had been expected to apply for bail, but this has been postponed until Tuesday after the defence and prosecution agreed to allow more time for this to be heard.
He will be held in custody at Brooklyn Prison in Pretoria, next door to the firearms registration centre, until then.
He said nothing during the 40-minute hearing. His father, Henke, sister Aimee and brother, Carl, sat directly behind him in the packed court-room, occasionally leaning forward to give him a supportive pat on the shoulder.

article-2278514-179252DB000005DC-803_634x616

As the double-amputee athlete began to weep, Carl Pistorius lent forward and laid a hand on his brother, squeezing him slightly.
His family later issued a staunch denial of the allegation.
They said: ‘Firstly, and most importantly, all our thoughts today must be with the family and friends of Reeva Steenkamp.
‘Oscar Pistorius has made history as an Olympic and Paralympic sportsman and has been an inspiration to others the world over.
‘He has made it very clear that he would like to send his deepest sympathies to the family of Reeva.
‘He would also like to express his thanks through us for all the messages of support he has received - but as stated our thoughts and prayers today should be for Reeva and her family, regardless of the circumstances of this terrible, terrible tragedy.’
Police said an autopsy on the body of the victim was also taking place, but that its results would not be published.
Forensic experts yesterday continued to examine the scene of the shooting, sealing off the athlete’s house.
A policeman was seen carrying a handgun in a plastic forensic bag outside the Boschkop police station. It was believed to be the weapon used to shoot and kill Miss Steenkamp.

article-2278514-1793E8CC000005DC-830_634x832

South African media focused on Miss Steenkamp’s killing, relegating a State of the Nation address by President Jacob Zuma in parliament to a distant second.
The coverage reflected shock and dismay at the fall of a sporting legend who commanded rare respect on all sides of the racial divides that persist in Nelson Mandela’s ‘Rainbow Nation’ 19 years after the end of apartheid.
‘Golden Boy Loses Shine’ ran a front page headline in the Sowetan, beside a picture of Pistorius, head bowed in a grey hooded tracksuit being led away from a police station.
A reality television programme which features Miss Steenkamp will be aired on Saturday as scheduled.
The Tropika Island of Treasure show sees Reeva Steenkamp compete alongside seven South African celebrities and seven other contestants to win a prize of one million rand prize (£72,500).
The programme's website issued a message saying: 'We are deeply saddened and extend our condolences to Reeva's family and friends.'
Executive producer Samantha Moon told the BBC: 'As we grieve today with Reeva's family and friends and struggle to make sense of this shocking tragedy, it has taken much deliberation to come to the decision to continue screening Tropika Island of Treasure 5 as planned.'
The show asks contestants to describe themselves in three words. Miss Steenkamp said: 'Brainy, blonde, bombshell'.

article-2278970-17924ED2000005DC-186_634x817

A tribute will be aired ahead of the reality show, on SABC1 at 4:30pm UK time.
Those who knew Pistorius, including a former girlfriend, also weighed in on social media.
Trish Taylor, mother of Pistorius' ex-girlfriend Samantha Taylor, wrote on Facebook: 'I'm so glad Sammy is safe and out of the clutches of that man.'
But another ex-girlfriend, Jenna Edkins, defended Pistorius in messages Friday on Twitter.
'All I am saying is let him speak, let his side be heard without jumping to conclusions,' Edkins wrote.
She offered 'love and support' to the Pistorius family and wrote: 'I have dated Oscar on and off for 5 YEARS, NOT ONCE has he EVER lifted a finger to me or made me fear for my life.'
Meanwhile, police said today that an autopsy on the body of the victim was taking place. Lt Col Katlego Mogale said the results of the autopsy would not be published.
The court opened at just before 7am GMT today, as he arrived.
He was seen coming out of the police station where he had been held overnight covering his face with the jacket of his suit.
Henke and Carl Pistorius hugged each other in a show of solidarity before following the police escort that took the double amputee to the courthouse. Both looked tired and strained.
Pistorius was swept into the courthouse, hidden in the back of a police car, which had its windows blocked with paper to prevent anyone seeing the alleged murderer's face.

article-2278492-1794DDAD000005DC-832_634x250

Pistorius had initially been expected to appear in court on Thursday, but the hearing was postponed to yesterday to allow forensics more time to study his mansion.
Police said an application for bail by Pistorius's lawyer Kenny Oldwage would be opposed when he appears in court.
Dressed in a grey hooded jacket, tracksuit trousers and trainers, Pistorius, 26, walked with head bowed from the Boschkop police station yesterday before being taken to Pretoria's Mamelodi Day Hospital in a police convoy.
Brig Beukes said the medical examination was 'standard procedure'.
Pistorius's spokesman, from the Fast Track agency in London, said he was 'assisting the police with their investigations' but no further comment could be made until matters became clearer.
Initial rumours suggested the shooting may have been a Valentine's Day surprise gone wrong.
The couple had only been going out since November.

article-2278514-17923AE1000005DC-626_634x382

Miss Steenkamp, a model and law graduate, tweeted the day before Valentine's Day: 'What do you have up your sleeve for your love tomorrow??? #getexcited #ValentinesDay.'
Pistorius appeared to have serious concerns about his safety and was said to sleep with a revolver by his side.
The paper, which carried the headline 'Death behind a door', quotes unnamed residents who say they had spoken to security guards at his gated complex.
'The security guards found Pistorius by Steenkamp's body in the bathroom,' the paper said on its website, citing a neighbour who claimed: 'The door had bullet holes right through it.'
It is not clear whether the door was locked at the time of the shooting.

article-2278514-17924A96000005DC-692_634x605

Initial reports suggested the model may have been mistaken for a burglar, but Brigadier Denise Beukes later said police were 'very surprised' by that suggestion, adding: 'These allegations did not come from us.'
There had been previous incidents of a 'domestic nature' at the property on the exclusive, gated Silver Lakes Golf Estate in the South African capital Pretoria, she added.

A 9mm pistol was recovered and, according to unconfirmed reports, four shots were fired.
Police spokeswoman Lt Col Katlego Mogale said: 'Paramedics declared the woman dead on the scene and police proceeded with their investigation.
'The woman sustained wounds to her head and the upper body.'

article-2278514-1792394F000005DC-235_306x423 article-2278514-1792393F000005DC-871_306x423

A journalist from the Daily Mail interviewed him last summer and noted: 'This being South Africa, one baseball bat and one cricket bat lie behind Pistorius's bedroom door.
'A revolver is at his bedside. A machine gun by his window.'

He had to win a legal battle over his blades with the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) in 2008 for the right to compete in able-bodied competition.
Pistorius's father said his son was 'sad' following the shooting.
Henke Pistorius told SABC radio news: 'I don't know the facts. If anyone makes a statement, it will have to be Oscar. He's sad at the moment.'
The couple were dubbed the Posh and Becks of South Africa.
On her Twitter biography, Miss Steenkamp described herself as a 'Model, Cover Girl, Tropika Island Of Treasure Celeb Contestant, Law Graduate, Child of God'.
Tropika island Of Treasure is a TV show she was due to appear on this weekend.
Miss Steenkamp's publicist Sarit Tomlinson paid tribute to her, saying she was 'the sweetest human being and an absolute angel on earth'.
She added: 'She was the kindest, most unbelievable girl.'

article-2278492-1792ABEB000005DC-521_634x432
Clothes hang out of prison cells at the Pretoria Central Prison,
where Oscar Pistorius is allegedly being held before his court appearance today

She told Sky News: 'It's shocking. No one knows what happened. We're waiting for information.
'There are people we are waiting to speak to, to validate some of the stories.'
Asked about Miss Steenkamp's relationship with Pistorius, Ms Tomlinson said: 'They had been together for a couple of months and it's been a fabulous relationship - a healthy, fabulous relationship.'
Miss Steenkamp's friend Mashadi Motsogi broke down in tears.
The distressed model said she heard the news of Miss Steenkamp's death on Twitter.
'I have lost a friend,' she said, telling reporters that Miss Steenkamp's death in a secure complex did not make sense.
'Look, security here is safe. We moved to this area for security reasons. It does not make sense to me that my friend was shot, mistaken for an intruder.'

article-2278514-17920578000005DC-593_634x432

Web  Top
view post Posted on 17/2/2013, 20:35     +1   -1

Group:
Administrator

Was Reeva's skull crushed with bloodied
cricket bat 'found' at Blade Runner's House?
Horrific new claims about model's death

article-2279792-17A07C97000005DC-482_634x417

A bloodied cricket bat has been found at the home of Blade Runner, local sources say.
Police are working on theories that the bat could have been used by Oscar Pistorius to attack Reeva Steenkamp before shooting her dead, to break down the door of the bathroom where she was hiding, or even by the late model to defend herself, reported City Press in South Africa.
It was also claimed that investigation sources said Miss Steenkamp's skull had been crushed.
Meanwhile his best friend has told how he received a phone call moments after Reeva Steenkamp had been shot dead and a distraught Pistorius later crying ‘My baba, I’ve killed my baba. God take me away.’
Before the Paralympic medallist called the emergency services he phoned Justin Divaris, 27, at 3.55am to tell him what had happened.
‘I said to him, “What are you talking about?” He then repeated himself – “There has been a terrible accident, I shot Reeva”,’ he told the Sunday People.

article-0-179E4D3A000005DC-150_306x617

By the time the businessman had rushed to the athlete's luxury Pretoria home it had already been sealed off by police, but Mr Divaris described seeing the model 'covered in blankets and towels'.
Members of both families have spoken out today as Pistorius’s father Henke 59, said he had ‘zero doubt’ the fatal shooting was a mistake saying his son had ‘acted on instinct’.
The father of the South African model allegedly murdered by Oscar Pistorius spoke movingly yesterday of his family’s grief – and said he bore the athlete no animosity.
In an emotional interview with The Mail on Sunday, Barry Steenkamp said he was struggling ‘to find some reason why this happened to our lovely daughter’.
Pistorius broke down in tears in court when he was formally charged with Reeva Steenkamp’s premeditated murder and Mr Steenkamp said: ‘He must be going through things that we don’t know about. There is no hatred in our hearts.’
The athlete's father Henke Pistorius told the Sunday Telegraph a sportsman's 'instinct' was behind the tragedy, and said the family has pledged to do whatever it takes to clear Oscar's name.
Further details of the events at Pistorius’ Pretoria mansion in the early hours of Valentine’s Day have come to light as is was unveiled that he tried to give Miss Steenkamp the kiss of life.

After Oscar Pistorius carried his girlfriend’s blood-soaked body from the bathroom where she was shot, he tried to revive her, sources close to the investigation told the Sun.
‘There was a great deal of blood and they were convinced Reeva was still alive at that point when Pistorius was giving her the kiss of life, but she died soon after,’ a South African source said last night.
Pistorius was allegedly trying to save her with the kiss of life when a security guard and neighbour arrived following the noise of the gunshots, before she died in his arms moments later.

article-2279912-17A12FA5000005DC-73_634x399

Yesterday speculation about whether Ms Steenkamp's relationship with a playboy rugby player could have been behind a possible row which may have led to her tragic death.
South African reports have linked the 29-year-old to Springbok Francois Hougaard - a close friend of Pistorius - according to the Sunday Mirror.
The 24-year-old failed to turn out for a scheduled match with his side the Vodacom Bulls in the days after Ms Steenkamp's death.
The pair, who have been friends for a number of years and were in regular contact via Twitter, are understood to have dated in the past.
Among those to comment on the speculation surrounding their relationship on Twitter were Nelson Mandela's personal assistant, whose reference to 'rumours about a rugby player alleged to be involved somehow' was later retweeted by South African journalist Barry Bateman to his 18,000 strong Twitter following.

article-2279792-1791F640000005DC-666_634x630

Ms Steenkamp had been dating Pistorius, a double-amputee known as the Blade Runner, since November.
It has been reported she was hit four times by bullets fired through the door of a bathroom. Pistorius, 26, a keen marksman, owned a pistol and machine gun.
Sources told how he carried his dying girlfriend from the bathroom, her blood splattering the staircase, as he desperately tried to revive her.
The pair had been called South Africa’s ‘golden couple’, and the arrest of Pistorius – who in London last year became the first man to compete at both an Olympics and Paralympics – was met with disbelief.

article-0-17A0B038000005DC-862_306x423

Speaking for the first time since the death of his law graduate daughter, Mr Steenkamp, a horse trainer, wept as he said he and his wife June were at ‘a complete loss’.
He said: ‘This is a very difficult time for us. June is inconsolable. We just need to find some answers. We ask the Lord every day to help us find a reason why this should happen to Reeva. She was the most beautiful, kind girl in the world. She had love for everyone, and she was loved by everyone who knew her.’
Mr Steenkamp said he had never met Pistorius but his wife occasionally spoke to him on the phone.
On the day of the killing, Ms Steenkamp had been due to give a talk to high school pupils ‘to empower them to be confident’.
Her father said: ‘That’s what she was like, always wanting to help others.’

Former girlfriends of the Paralympian have publicly suggested he has a dark side.
One, 26-year-old student Samantha Taylor, said he is ‘certainly not what people think he is’.
The Mail on Sunday has learned that Ms Taylor has been warned to expect a subpoena, forcing her to give evidence at Pistorius’s trial.
Ms Steenkamp appeared on a TV programme, Tropika Island of Treasure, in South Africa last night, which sees celebrities paired with contestants competing for a cash prize.
Executive producer Samantha Moon claimed the programme had the backing of Reeva’s family. She said: ‘This is how they want to remember her.’
Reeva’s funeral will be on Tuesday, the same day Pistorius is due in court where it is understood lawyers will say the shooting was a tragic accident.

article-0-17A0B139000005DC-883_634x423
Source: DailyMail

Web  Top
view post Posted on 17/2/2013, 20:52     +1   -1

Group:
Administrator

Pistorius was planning new life
in a new home, says former school teacher

article-0-17A0AF99000005DC-165_634x479

Just three days before he was engulfed in the tragedy that left his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, dead and Blade Runner Oscar Pistorius charged with her murder, the Paralympic icon had spoken excitedly to his old head teacher about moving to a new home he had bought in Johannesburg.
Bill Schroder, former headteacher at Pretoria Boys High School which Pistorius attended as a teenager, had a telephone conversation with the 26-year-old on Monday afternoon.
During that conversation Pistorius revealed his plans to move out of his luxury Pretoria mansion in a gated community and relocate to a new house in South Africa's largest city.

article-0-17A0B15E000005DC-959_306x423

The move would have enabled Pistorius to pursue his celebrity lifestyle and the trappings that accompanied his life as one of the country's sporting icons.
But less than 72 hours after talking through his plans with his former teacher, Pistorius was charged with Steenkamp's murder.
They had been going out for just three months before their relationship turned violent in the early hours of Valentine's Day, when Steenkamp, a 29-year-old model and graduate who had planned to launch a career as a lawyer, was found dead in his bathroom.
Steenkamp was shot four times by Pistorius in what initial reports suggested was an accident but what South African prosecutors are calling premeditated murder.
Pistorius, who broke down in tears when he made his first court appearance in Pretoria on Friday, is being held in a police cell before a bail hearing on Tuesday.
Schroder said on Saturday that Pistorius, a Paralympics gold medallist in Athens, Beijing and London, had never spoke of his relationship with Steenkamp to him.
'Oscar never mentioned Reeva to me,' said Schroder. 'He never mentioned any girlfriends to me. I knew he was popular with the ladies because he was so charismatic and very good looking.
'He had called me on Monday afternoon. I fund-raise for the school and his year group had been particularly poor in putting their hands in their pockets.

'I told him, "You've got a few bob in the bank, you must be able to help". He was typically and charmingly Oscar; he always called me "boss" or "sir".
'He said, "I'm going to get on the phone to my friends right now. I've got half an hour to kick some serious butt".
'He said his donation would be relatively small right now because he had just bought a new house in Johannesburg. He was very excited about moving. His social life is there and a lot of the appearances he did so it was just more convenient.
'He was thinking of having a flat in Pretoria Monday to Friday where he trains. He was working hard and looking forward to an event in Australia in a couple of weeks.'

article-2279015-17988DE1000005DC-164_634x360

Schroder, who taught at Pretoria High from 1990 to 2009, has maintained a friendship with his former pupil and it was with horror and a heavy heart that he woke on Thursday to reports that a woman had been shot dead at Pistorius's home.
Initial reports suggested the runner had mistaken her for an intruder but this was dismissed by police. A 9mm pistol was recovered from the house and, according to reports, Steenkamp was shot in the head and hand through a bathroom door. Yesterday Pistorius's uncle, Arnold Pistorius, released a statement on behalf of the family saying that his nephew was 'numb with shock as well as grief'.
The statement added that the family 'strongly refute' the charge of premeditated murder. Arnold Pistorius added that his nephew and Steenkamp had become very close since they started dating in November.

'They had plans together and Oscar was happier in his private life than he had been for a long time,' he said.
However this tragic story develops, the reputation of Pistorius -- revered around the world for the way he transformed attitudes towards disability - is irreparably damaged.
Schroder is confronting the possibility that the spotlight, which first trained on Pisotrius at school after he won 400m gold at the Athens Paralympics as a 17-year-old and grew even stronger when he became the first amputee runner to race in an Olympics this summer, may have been too bright for him.

article-2279015-17984739000005DC-85_634x353

'One wonders what part the incredible pressure Oscar is under all the time played,' said Schroder. 'He has said to me on occasions that it would be so nice just to be ordinary. He has done so much for South Africa as an ambassador. 'I just hope there are mitigating factors.
'I hope it is an accident and not cold-blooded murder. But it's never going to be the same again. The icon has fallen.'
Asked if he knew of Pistorius's alleged fascination with guns, Schroder said: 'I didn't, but I spoke to one of his classmates yesterday and he was telling me that Oscar has always had this love of firearms and apparently he has always been a gun collector.'
Trauma had already struck for Pistorius as a 15-year-old when his mother died following complications after a hysterectomy. It was a pivotal episode in his childhood and one which Pistorius struggled to come to terms with.
'Oscar, his older brother, Carl, and younger sister, Aimee, were much closer to their mum than their dad,' said Schroder.
'To lose her at such impressionable ages was a hell of a thing for them to cope with, particularly in a broken home.'
Dr Gerry Versveld, the surgeon who amputated Oscar's legs - he was born with no fibula bones - when he was 18 months old and has since become a close family friend, remembers him as being 'extraordinarily adaptable'.

article-2279015-179847FD000005DC-497_634x352

Versveld said: 'He was a very uncomplaining person. There were times when I told him "You need to cut down your activities". He did everything that everyone else did.'
If Pistorius is found guilty, he could be incarcerated in one of South Africa's notorious prisons, where cells are often shared by up to 20 prisoners. Life sentences in South Africa average 25 years.
'I blanch at the thought of how he would cope with his prosthetics in there,' said Versveld.
'He would have specific requirements and I don't know how they would deal with that.'
The surgeon credits Pistorius with altering perceptions towards the loss of limbs.
'Oscar changed the whole ball game,' said Versveld. 'In the last few years I've treated a couple of kids with similar problems and for them to make that decision to amputate is extremely emotional.
'I have often pointed to Oscar and they have seen how much success he has had. He has changed the way that people think.'
While Steenkamp remains the true victim of the events of Thursday morning, the final toll of the tragedy is yet to be revealed.

article-2278492-1795506F000005DC-93_634x540

Web  Top
view post Posted on 18/2/2013, 15:08     +1   -1

Group:
Administrator

Did Blade Runner kill girlfriend
in fit of steroid rage?

Police fear Oscar Pistorius took performance
enhancing drugs before shooting model Reeva

article-2280219-179E4CCB000005DC-443_634x421

Police are investigating if Oscar Pistorius may have shot dead his girlfriend in a fit of so-called 'steroid rage' - an explosion of aggression caused by performance-boosting steroids.
Officers who searched the 26-year-old's home after Reeva Steenkamp was killed are reported to have found steroids, according to The Sun.
Miss Steenkamp, 29, was shot four times early on Thursday at Pistorius’s luxury home in a secure housing estate on the outskirts of Pretoria.

This morning the South African Police Service refused to respond to the claim, but sources close to investigation had previously told a local paper that the steroid rage was one line of enquiry and that the star's blood was being tested for drugs.
Police have rubbished speculation that Pistorius – who is known to have kept a pistol by his bed and a machine gun at his bedroom window – may have mistaken his girlfriend of three months for an intruder.
As he awaits the result of his bail application tomorrow, it was reported this morning that Pistorius accidentally discharged a gun in a busy Johannesburg restaurant - and nearly hit his friend's foot.

The Paralympic star visited a branch of the South African restaurant chain Tasha's with group of friends which included girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp in January this year.
According boxer Kevin Lerena, who was also part of the dining party, Pistorius was given the gun by someone else in the group.
He was examining the weapon when it suddenly went off, Mr Lerena claimed.
'I got a huge fright, because the bullet hit the ground just centimetres from my foot', Lerena told South Africa's Beeld newspaper.
He went on: 'I must emphasise that the gun belonged to one of Pistorius' friends - I'm not going to mention his name.
'Oscar just wanted to look at the gun, and it sort of snagged on his pants, releasing the safety catch.
'A shot went off. I wouldn't call him negligent, it was just an accident. He apologised to me for days afterwards,' Mr Lerena reportedly said.
The restaurant's manager Jason Loupis has said that he heard a 'loud bang' but that when he went to investigate, everyone on the table denied it was them.

article-2280375-17A6CC7E000005DC-891_306x423

Reeva Steenkamp's heartbroken mother June has spoken of her pain for the first time and said that she wants 'answers'

'I went to investigate when I heard the shot, but they all denied it,' said Mr Loupis.
Mr Loupis said he did not inform the police as he could not be certain that a gun was fired.

Reeva Steenkamp will be buried tomorrow - the same day Pistorius appears before Pretoria chief magistrate Desmond Nair for the start of what is expected to be a two day long bail application.
Mike Steenkamp, who speaks for Reeva's family, said: 'For now, we are just focusing on getting over the funeral ... on getting this part of the difficult journey behind us.
'We're trying not to think about Oscar or the court appearance. We have deliberately not watched TV or listened to the radio. We just don't want to think about it. We want to blank it all out and focus for now on the here and now,' he said.
Reeva Steenkamp's heartbroken mother has spoken of her pain for the first time and said that she wants 'answers'.
'She had so much of herself to give and now all of it is gone', June Steenkamp told a local newspaper, 'just like that, she is gone ... In the blink of an eye and a single breath, the most beautiful person who ever lived is no longer here.
'All we have is this horrendous death to deal with ... to get to grips with. All we want are answers ... answers as to why this had to happen, why our beautiful daughter had to die like this?'
Reeva Steenkamp's flatmate Gina Myers, refused to comment on her friend's relationship with Pistorius.
However she echoed the call for 'answers', saying: 'We want the truth to come out ... everyone to be honest about what happened'.
South African police believe Pistorius may have beaten his girlfriend with a cricket bat before shooting her.

Yesterday it emerged that detectives are reported to have recovered a bloodied bat from the Paralympic champion’s bedroom and to have established that model Reeva Steenkamp’s skull had been ‘crushed’.
This and other evidence – a smashed bathroom door, a 9mm pistol, the peculiar pattern of wounds on the body and reports of a row earlier in the evening – is said to have led them to believe the murder case against the sprinter is ‘rock solid’.
Prosecutors have formally charged Pistorius with premeditated murder but the Blade Runner’s family say he firmly denies such a charge.
Pistorius is understood to have hired a heavyweight team of experts which include private detectives a pathologist who will conduct their own investigation into Miss Steenkamp's death.
Yesterday it emerged that he called his close friend Justin Divaris shortly after the killing – reportedly before the emergency services were alerted – and told him: ‘There has been a terrible accident, I shot Reeva.’

article-2280375-17A40D66000005DC-769_634x465

Mr Divaris rushed to the house, where he said Pistorius repeatedly told him: ‘My baba, I’ve killed my baba. God take me away.’
While no officials would comment publicly on the case, a disturbing – though disputed – picture of what may have happened in Pistorius’s home started to emerge.
Neighbours have said they heard shouting coming from the house at around 1.30am. There were some suggestions, quickly denied, that the row may have been about Miss Steenkamp’s friendship with a rugby player.
At around 3.20am, four shots rang out – apparently not all at once. The first person Pistorius called was his father Henke, 59.
When he arrived, he allegedly saw his son carrying his nightie-clad girlfriend down the stairs.
She had been shot in the head, hip, arm and hand. Pistorius – and later paramedics – struggled in vain to save Miss Steenkamp’s life.
When the police inspected Oscar’s bedroom, they found Miss Steenkamp’s overnight bag and iPad on the floor and the bedclothes were crumpled.
'It was clear that both of them had slept in the bed,' a police source told City Press.
Police reportedly found the bloodied cricket bat in the bedroom.
The en-suite bathroom door was riddled with holes, a pistol holster was found by Pistorius’s bed and a gun cartridge was on the floor.

article-2280375-17A4020A000005DC-560_306x423 article-2280375-17A3F800000005DC-484_306x423

South Africa’s City Press quoted an unnamed police source as saying: ‘The suspicion is that the first shot, in the bedroom, hit her in the hip. She then ran and locked herself in the toilet.
‘She was doubled over because of the pain. He fired three more shots. She probably covered her head, which is why the bullet also went through her hand.’
The source said police are carrying out tests to establish whose blood is on the bat.
While one scenario is that Pistorius attacked Miss Steenkamp with the wooden bat, it has also been claimed that the model may have used it to defend herself.
A third possibility is that Pistorius used it to break down the bathroom door. Those close to Pistorius have suggested that he may done so in a bid to ‘save’ his dying girlfriend.
Pistorius's father, Henke, has defended his son by attacking the way the incident has been reported.
'There is something fundamentally wrong with our society. We build people up into heroes, who overcome immense challenges, only to take great glee in breaking them down', he told South Africa's Times newspaper.
'I want to say this: We are realists, not fools. This is not going to be easy but Oscar is strong beyond his years.'
According to this theory, the athlete first shot Miss Steenkamp by accident, whereupon she fled to the bathroom. He then shot at the door lock to try to get in, accidentally killing her.
Pistorius’s father appeared to suggest it is this version that he believes.
While he admitted that he had not talked to his son in detail about what happened, he said he had ‘zero doubt’ that the sportsman thought Miss Steenkamp was an intruder.
A more likely defence from Pistorius is to acknowledge that there was a row but that he did not intend to kill her.
Some in South Africa have speculated about the nature of Miss Steenkamp’s friendship with Springbok rugby player Francois Hougaard, and whether this played a part in the tragedy.
The 24-year-old was keen to distance himself from such reports at the weekend. His agent said: ‘This whole sad ordeal has got nothing to do with him.’
Last night Pistorius’s agent said he had withdrawn him from all planned races but insisted his sponsors were sticking by him.
The tragedy has also cast fresh light on Pistorius’s apparent attraction to danger and weaponry.
As well as owning a pistol and machine gun, at the time of Miss Steenkamp’s death he reportedly had seven outstanding firearm licence applications.
One was for same type of assault rifle used in the recent Sandy Hook school massacre in the US.
Pistorius, who was charged with premeditated murder at a court appearance on Friday, spent the weekend in a police cell ahead of a second hearing planned for tomorrow at which his lawyers are expected to ask for bail.
Police say they will oppose the request. Source: dailymail.co.uk

Web  Top
view post Posted on 19/2/2013, 12:47     +1   -1

Group:
Administrator

Reeva Steenkamp funeral
takes place in South Africa

Funeral held for slain model Reeva Steenkamp.
'There’s a space missing inside all the people she knew'

reeva_05_941-705_resize

The family of Reeva Steenkamp have paid an emotional tribute to her after the tragic model's funeral this morning.
Speaking outside the crematorium, her heartbroken brother Adam said there is a "space missing inside all the people she knew that can't be filled again."
He said the funeral had been sad but that "at certain points we were smiling whilst remembering Reeva because we only have good memories of her.”

reeva_13_941-705_resize

Mike Steenkamp, her uncle, said they would remain positive about her life, adding: "We have to keep Reeva in our hearts forever."
They attended a private service in her hometown of Port Elizabeth as her boyfriend, the Paralympic idol Oscar Pistorius, appeared in court charged with premeditated murder.
Reeva, 29, suffered three fatal gunshot wounds when she was shot with a 9mm pistol on Valentine’s Day.

Steenkamp’s body was transported in a black hearse to the windswept Victoria Park Crematorium, where family and friends who had travelled from around the world attended the memorial service.
Six pallbearers carried her coffin, draped with a white cloth and covered in white flowers.
After the hour-long private ceremony in the cream-coloured hill-top church, her brother added: “We’re going to keep all the positive things that we remember and know about my sister.

reeva_12_941-705_resize
Francois Hougaard

"We will try and continue with the things that she tried to make better. We’ll miss her.”
Her mother, June, has described her “horrendous” torment at her daughter’s death, telling local media: “She loved like no-one else could love.
“She had so much of herself to give and now all of it is gone. Just like that, she is gone.
“In the blink of an eye and a single breath, the most beautiful person who ever lived is no longer here.
“All we want are answers – answers as to why this had to happen, why our beautiful daughter had to die like this.”

reeva_10_941-705_madre
Reeva's mother June arrives at funeral

reeva-family-main__1676069a
Reeva's father Barry

Reeva-Steenkamp-co_1676002a

oscar4-620_1676042a

Hundreds of miles away from the funeral, prosecutors have been laying out details of the case against Pistorius, 26, at a bail hearing in Pretoria.
They say Pistorius – who denies murder – put on his prosthetic legs and walked seven metres before firing four times through a bathroom door at his home, killing her.

Prosecutor Gerrie Nel told the court Ms Steenkamp locked herself inside the cramped bathroom at his gated Pretoria mansion because she was scared after a row.
Law Graduate Reeva died from her wounds at the house in Pretoria in the early hours of Thursday.

reeva_08_941-705padre

reeva_02_941-705_resize

reeva_03_941-705_resize

reeva_04_941-705_resize

reeva_06_941-705_resize

reeva_09_941-705_resize
Source:The sun

Web  Top
view post Posted on 20/2/2013, 18:03     +1   -1

Group:
Administrator

Pistorius murder bail hearing
to go into third day after court hears of
'non-stop shouting' before gunshots fired

article-2281505-1801C5FC000005DC-472_634x427

'Non-stop shouting' was heard coming from Oscar Pistorius' home before his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp was shot dead, his bail hearing was told today.
Model Miss Steenkamp, aged 29, was shot three times in her arm, hip and head.
Police claimed two containers of testosterone and needles were also found in the bedroom but Pistorius' lawyer Barry Roux said it was not testosterone but a herbal remedy.
The details were revealed as the second day of the 26-year-old athlete's bail hearing began at Pretoria Magistrates' Court.

article-2281505-1812D800000005DC-673_634x517

Prosecutor Gerrie Nel said the prosecution team had a witness who heard shouting coming from the property at the exclusive Silver Lakes Golf Estate between 2am and 3am. Shortly afterwards Miss Steenkamp lay bleeding to death in Pistorius's bathroom hit by three bullets, one in the head, the hip and arm, Pretoria Magistrates' Court heard.

Pistorius has admitted shooting her with a 9mm pistol but said he thought a burglar or burglars were in the bathroom and he did not intend to shoot the model. The athlete has said he believed intruders were in his house so he fired through the bathroom door in the dark as he was too scared to turn the light on.
Discovering his mistake, he broke the door down with a cricket bat and carried her downstairs, he has said.

article-2281505-180273FA000005DC-50_634x459

But today, the second day of his bail application, investigating officer Hilton Botha said the prosecution also have a witness who said the lights were on after hearing gunshots.
Lawyers and police studied plans of the bedroom and bathroom.
A projector was used to beam the plans up for the public and press to see.
Mr Botha said there was 'no way' he believed Pistorius's version of events.
The runner has said he shot through the door while on his stumps but the court heard the bullets' trajectory was through the top of the door.
Mr Botha said he believed the bullets were fired down, suggesting that Pistorius was wearing his prosthetic legs when the shots were discharged.
He said: 'I believe he knew she was in the bathroom and he shot four shots through the door.'
The court heard that two mobile phones were seized at the property and neither had been used to call the police or paramedics.

article-2281505-18033650000005DC-208_634x433

The court also heard today that two boxes of testosterone and needles were found in Pistorius's bedroom.
And details were released of a row he allegedly had with a man over a girl at Kyalami racetrack where Pistorius allegedly threatened to 'f*** up' the rival.
It was also claimed he was involved in another shooting at a restaurant in Johannesburg in January and asked the gun owner to take responsibility for the incident.

Mr Botha said he wanted Pistorius charged additionally with a weapons violation after unlicensed .38 calibre ammunition was found at the house.
The athlete - who was sobbing this morning in court - made notes with a silver pen as the case progressed.
He told officials he had been a victim of crime and received death threats, but today the court heard there were no records of this.
In an affidavit, Pistorius has denied murdering the law graduate at his home in the early hours of Thursday.

article-2281505-17AD82F8000005DC-869_634x565

article-2281505-17F9E728000005DC-290_634x454

He has said they were in love and he thought Miss Steenkamp was in bed when he got up in the dark and blasted through the door.
Pistorius's lawyer Barry Roux said it was not testosterone but a herbal remedy discovered in his client's bedroom.
Cross-examining Mr Botha, Mr Roux said a post-mortem examination showed Miss Steenkamp's bladder was empty.

He said that was consistent with her getting up at 3am to go to the toilet.
Mr Roux asked repeatedly why the police did not make simple checks - over the lighting and whether Pistorius had other phones.
The lawyer said Pistorius phoned the housing complex manager for help at 3.19am then Netcare hospital a minute later.
Mr Roux said the police discarded anything that might have been consistent with a defence. Officers found the victim covered in towels and wearing white shorts and a black top.

Prosecutors believe Pistorius, who won two gold medals and a silver at London's 2012 Paralympic Games, is a flight risk and oppose bail.
Mr Botha said Pistorius, who had below-the-knee amputations when he was 11 months old, has offshore accounts and a property in Italy.

article-2281505-17AD2836000005DC-418_634x602

article-2281505-18023DBB000005DC-690_306x400

One witness said he heard a shot, followed 17 minutes later by more shots, Mr Botha said.
'One of our witnesses heard a fight, two people talking loudly at each other ... from two in the morning to three,' he said, adding that the witness was about 1,000ft away.

Members of the Women's League of the ruling African National Congress protested outside the red-brick court, waving placards saying 'No Bail for Pistorius' and 'Rot in jail'. The case has stunned sports fans worldwide.

But it has been felt most acutely in South Africa, where Pistorius was seen as a hero who transcended racial divides that persist nearly 20 years after the end of apartheid.
He carried South Africa's flag at the closing ceremony of the London Olympics, and American magazine Sports Illustrated named him as one of the most inspiring figures of the year.

The sprinter's endorsements and sponsorships included Nike, telecoms firm BT, sunglasses maker Oakley and French designer Thierry Mugler and were thought to be worth as much as two million US dollars (£1.3 million) a year.

Nike and Mugler both said they have dropped Pistorius from advertising campaigns, and Clarins cosmetics firm said it was recalling its A Man perfume range out of 'respect and compassion towards the families involved'.
The hearing was adjourned to tomorrow morning when a decision over bail might be made. The court will resume at 11am in Pretoria (9am GMT).

article-2281505-18056A76000005DC-229_634x426

Web  Top
view post Posted on 22/2/2013, 17:12     +1   -1

Group:
Administrator

Decision: Oscar Pistorius has heard
the result of his bail application

Pistorius granted bail as judge rules he is NOT a flight risk despite murder charge... accused athlete's next court date is in June

article-2282715-18328768000005DC-546_634x333

Oscar Pistorius has been granted bail ahead of his trial for the alleged murder of his girlfriend
Reeva Steenkamp. The athlete, in court on Friday morning on the fourth day of his hearing in Pretoria, heard from chief magistrate Desmond Nair that he will be released with 1 million rand (£73,823) as the bail fee.
Nair said he did not believe Pistorius was a flight risk, he would not interfere with witnesses, and that although he has shown tendencies of aggression, propensity to violence has not been shown. Supporters could be heard shouting 'yes' after the decision, and members of the athlete's family wept and appeared to pray.
The family said they were grateful for the decision. Pistorius will not be in court again until June 4. He must surrender his passport and report to the police station every Monday and Friday on condition of bail.

article-2282675-182BF39A000005DC-496_306x423

Before making his judgement Nair summarised Pistorius' bail application and the statements from his friends who described his relationship with Steenkamp.
One onlooking journalist tweeted that Pistorius seemed to be reliving the events behind closed eyes as Nair described the shooting in the run up to his bail judgement.
After nearly two hours Nair began to sum up the reasons for his decision, eventually concluding that he could be released.
Pistorius is charged with one count of premediated murder over the February 14 killing of his model girlfriend.
He says the shooting was accidental because he thought she was a dangerous intruder inside his home.

Nair also referred to evidence given by Warrant Officer Hilton Botha, who was replaced as lead investigator in the case yesterday after he was charged with multiple counts of attempted murder in a different case.
In the case, which was previously dropped, Botha and two other police officers are said to have fired shots at a minibus carrying seven people in October 2011. He is due to appear in court himself in May.

During his ruling on Pistorius' bail application today, Mr Nair said Botha had made 'several errors and concessions' during cross-examination.
He said the officer had not asked for all the mobile phones, may have contaminated the crime scene, 'blundered' on the description of substances found at the property, and did not spend as long as he ought to have if he wanted to establish that the athlete had a propensity to violence.

'It can never be said that Warrant Officer Hilton Botha is the state case,' he said. 'The state case will be put together by experts.'
In his affidavit, Pistorius described waking up in the early hours of Valentine's Day and going on to his balcony to bring in a fan and close the sliding doors.
He said he heard a noise in the bathroom and was overcome by a sense of 'terror', thinking someone had broken in.

He fired shots at the toilet door, shouting to Ms Steenkamp to call the police and, when she did not reply, realised she was in the bathroom.
The prosecution said Ms Steenkamp locked herself in the bathroom either to escape an argument or to escape the gun.

article-2282715-18318DFE000005DC-775_634x410

During the hearing, the prosecution claimed there was a risk of the athlete fleeing if the court released him on bail, and prosecutor Gerrie Nel said he had the "money, means and motive" to do so.
He said Pistorius' version of events was 'improbable', compared with the state's case which was based on 'objective facts'.
But the Paralympian's defence claimed he is so famous he will not be able to flee, and any effort to escape justice would be difficult as his prosthetic legs cannot go unnoticed through airport security, need maintenance and adjustment on a monthly basis, while his own legs need regular medical treatment.

article-2282715-18318B99000005DC-67_634x377

Pistorius' coach, Ampie Louw, who described the athlete as 'heartbroken' over the death of his girlfriend, said earlier that, if he was given bail, he could resume training next week.
Speaking outside Pretoria Magistrates' Court, Louw said the athlete was heartbroken by his girlfriend's death, telling reporters: 'For me, it's tough to see that. You cannot reach out, sit next to him and say sorry man, this is a terrible accident...'
He said if Pistorius was granted bail, his training would resume, although he will not compete.
'I think that (training) will be a very good thing to do, I think just to get his mind clear,' Louw added.
'The sooner he can start with a bit of work, the better.'
He said it was unlikely the sports star would flee, if given bail, adding: 'He is not going to run anywhere so why not give the guy bail? He must stand trial, and let's do that and get the truth out of it.'

article-2282087-182DBCF4000005DC-376_634x428

Speaking on behalf of Pistorius' family, his uncle Arnold told reporters: 'We are relieved of the fact that Oscar got bail today.
'But at the same time we are in mourning for the death of Reeva with her family.
'We are also grateful for the magistrate for coming to the conclusion and for our legal team that has delivered extremely professional and legal statements that led to the decision of giving bail today.
'As the family, we know Oscar's version of what happened that tragic night and we know that that is the truth and that will prevail in the coming court case.'
Speaking outside court, Medupe Simasiku, from South Africa's National Prosecuting Authority (NPA), told reporters: 'The bail application does not mean that this person is acquitted.'
He said there was more work to be done and, when the court meets again on June 4, they will have a better idea of when a trial can be held.

article-2282715-1831DD18000005DC-437_306x423 article-2282715-1831C849000005DC-661_306x423

Kenny Kunene, a friend of the athlete, told Sky News that Pistorius had not been given any special treatment, and said the case had taken a toll on Pistorius and his family.
'It has obviously taken a serious toll because they stopped doing everything and they focused on this particular bail application, they have been here every day,' he said.
'It has taken a lot from them, it has taken a toll on me as a friend, and I think today was more of a relief.
'It was a great day for Oscar and for everybody that loves him.
'Obviously he will have to focus on the case and I think the conditions bind him. They give him time and space to focus on this case, particularly with support from the family.'

article-2282675-182CE6FB000005DC-703_634x479

article-2282675-182DC57E000005DC-909_306x423 article-2282675-182F005A000005DC-440_306x423

article-2282087-182BF28F000005DC-46_634x446

article-2282087-182C0927000005DC-543_634x360

Web  Top
view post Posted on 22/2/2013, 22:18     +1   -1

Group:
Administrator

Blade Runner Oscar Pistorius
bailed over Reeva shooting

Pist_M_1678485a

Blade Runner Oscar Pistorius has been freed on bail over the killing of his girlfriend Reena Steenkamp.
Prosecutors had argued that Paralympian Pistorius was a flight risk and could skip the country if he was freed - but a magistrate disagreed.
Supporters could be heard saying “yes”, and members of the athlete’s family wept and appeared to pray after Chief Magistrate Desmond Nair announced his decision following a 90-minute speech to the court in Pretoria.
The sprinter has been bailed ahead of any possible trial over the alleged pre-meditated murder of Reeva.
Mr Nair, who previously described his task as “unenviable”, said there was no suggestion that Pistorius was a flight risk, he did not appear to have a propensity to violence, and there was no evidence that he would interfere with witnesses.
He said Pistorius had “reached out” in his affidavit describing what had happened, and - pausing before he delivered his final decision to the packed courtroom - said: “I come to the conclusion that the accused has made a case to be released on bail.”

ed069b1e0bbef506290f6a706700f2be

Conditions of the bail include the athlete having to report twice a week to a local police station, to avoid his home and surrender his passport.
He was also ordered to hand over all of his firearms and told not to drink alcohol.
The case has been postponed until June 4th.
During the lengthy hearing, Pistorius was obviously emotional, sobbing as Mr Nair summed up the evidence the court has heard, including the Paralympian’s own account of what happened when he opened fire.
Pistorius's hands trembled when he said “good morning, your worship” as the hearing began today in South Africa's Pretoria Magistrates' Court.

His long-time coach Ampie Louw revealed before proceedings that he is considering putting his runner back in training if he is granted bail to allow him to “get his mind kind of clear”.
Louw said Pistorius, 26, is “heartbroken” by the death of 29-year-old Reeva.

Reeva2_1678256a

Speaking outside court, Louw told reporters: “For me, it’s tough to see that. You cannot reach out, sit next to him and say sorry man, this is a terrible accident."
He said it was unlikely the sports star would flee, if given bail, adding: “He is not going to run nowhere so why not give the guy bail? He must stand trial, and let’s do that and get the truth out of it.”
The prosecution continued to sum up its case in the lengthy bail hearing today, after Pistorius’s defence argued yesterday he was too famous to flee if released on bail.

As the prosecutor continued summing up today, Pistorius stood with his head bowed, often visibly emotional in court.
Double amputee Pistorius famed for running on carbon fibre blades, claims he blasted FHM model Reeva, 29, four times after mistaking her for a burglar.
He said Pistorius’s claim that he thought there was an intruder in the house last Friday was part of his planning
Mr Nel added that although Steenkamp’s murder might not have been planned days in advance, it was planned that night.
The prosecutor said the model locked herself in the bathroom either to escape an argument or to escape the gun.

Oscar2_1678205a
Source: thesun.co.uk

Web  Top
view post Posted on 24/2/2013, 18:59     +1   -1

Group:
Administrator

Pistorius’ brother ALSO
facing trial over woman’s death

Oscar_1679333a

THE brother of Blade Runner Oscar Pistorius is ALSO facing trial for allegedly killing a woman, it has emerged. Carl Pistorius has been charged with culpable homicide over the death of a motorcyclist he is said to have knocked down in his car.
The athlete's older brother had been due to appear in court on Thursday, according to local media reports in South Africa, but instead was at Oscar's side throughout his bail hearing.

The double amputee, 26, denies murdering his model girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp at his home in Pretoria on Valentine's Day, claiming he mistook her for a burglar.
Carl Pistorius was allegedly at the wheel of a car involved in a crash that left a woman motorcyclist dead in 2010.

The accident took place in the town of Vanderbijlpark, an hour's drive south of Johannesburg. The criminal charge against him has only just emerged in South Africa's press, and was confirmed by family lawyer Kenneth Oldwage.
There was no comment from the family.
The latest bizarre twist came after the police chief leading the Reeva murder probe, Hilton Botha, was taken off the case after it emerged he himself is facing seven charges of attempted murder.

He and two other officers are accused of drunkenly firing shots at a minibus carrying seven people in 2011.
Carl is due in court again at the end of March after his trial was reportedly pushed back.
It means his trial may end before his younger brother Oscar's is due to begin on June 4.
Yesterday Carl's Twitter account was used to send a message purporting to be Oscar's first public comment since he was released on £74,000 bail - but was later revealed to be the work of hackers.

Carl__1679334a
Source: thesun.co.uk

Web  Top
22 replies since 14/2/2013, 09:44   4684 views